|Launch Date||2001 March 2 |
|Genre||Sprite, Fantasy, Humor, Roleplaying games|
8-Bit Theater (also spelled 8-Bit Theatre) is a sprite comic created by Brian Clevinger based on the game Final Fantasy by Square-Enix. The comic was launched on March 2, 2001. (It has been stated by the author, however, that the comic was started in mid-to-late January 2001).
Although 8-Bit Theater follows the storyline of Final Fantasy, the places travelled and the enemies fought are the only real similarities. For example, Garland, the first boss in Final Fantasy, is pictured as being incredibly un-evil for a villain.
According to the a post by Clevinger on the forums, 8-Bit Theater was initially supposed to be a series of parody sprite comics, focusing on different legendary 8-bit video games (Metroid, River City Ransom, etc.). However, the comic did not go that route, and only parodies "Final Fantasy".
In general, the art in the comic is taken from the game Final Fantasy, particularly the characters and most of the foreground scenery. However, some backgrounds and objects are taken from different sources. The comic author has previously stated that most are obtained via Google.
All editing of the backgrounds and addition of word balloons and text are performed in Adobe Photoshop. The sprites used in the comic are a mix of FF1, FF2j, and FF3j sprites, as well as an additional assortment of sprite edits and artificial sprites created with Corel PhotoPaint 3.0, a Microsoft Windows|Windows 3.0/3.1 art program.
Kevin Sigmund (Known as Sky Warrior KC on the Nuklearpower Forums) created many of the custom sprites used in the comic.
- For more information, see: Characters of 8-Bit Theater.
The events in 8-Bit Theater revolve around four central characters—the Light Warriors—and a number of minor ones. These characters are generally exaggerated RPG stereotypes.
Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details follow
The Light Warriors:
- Fighter - A fighter specializing in swords, and master of The Twelve Schools of Vargus-do Zodiac Style Swordplay. Fighter has a childlike mentality and an obsession with swords.
- Black Mage - A wizard specializing in dark magic. He is an evil, murderous, psychotic wizard who hates almost everyone.
- Thief - A greedy and sometimes businesslike thief. Prince of Elfland who left his kingdom to find a cure for his father's illness. Leader of the Light Warriors, a position he acquired through both legal and illegal trickery.
- Red Mage - A mage possessing the ability to cast both light and dark magic. He believes himself to be a character in a table-top RPG, and has abilities which allow him to manipulate his character statistics and the system itself.
Other notable characters:
- White Mage - Mage specializing in white (healing) magic. Priestess and member of Project Fate, her mission is to help the Light Warriors save the world.
- Black Belt - Talented martial artist, and travelling companion of White Mage. Has a terrible sense of direction; is currently deceased.
- Garland - Incompetent villain, and leader of the Dark Warriors.
- King Steve - King of Corneria and lovably idiotic. Rules his kingdom through sheer incompetency
- 8-Bit Theater is one of the participants in the Create a Comic Project.
 External links
- 8-Bit Theater website
- 8BT:Animated flash tributes by TLF
- Review of 8-Bit Theater at The Webcomic Overlook, October 2007
|This page was originally based on an entry from Wikipedia and is used under their GNU Free Documentation License.|