|Creator(s)||Lynn French & Jo McKenzie|
|Update Schedule||Updates every Friday|
|Launch Date||January 05, 2007|
In spring 2005, Lynn French created Dark Red. It was originally written as a series of 28-page comic book scripts, but was adapted as a webcomic. In autumn 2006 Joanna McKenzie joined Dark Red as letterer and has gradually become more involved with the creative process since then. She has added her own unique style to the comic and is one of the reasons that Dark Red is on-line today. Dark Red also has a web designer, a props guy and a talented team of actors playing the characters in the comic.
 The Comic
Dark Red is an urban fantasy and supernatural webcomic that updates every Friday. Although it's a little spooky and otherworldly, Dark Red has real-life stuff in it, like jokes and tears, chocolate and the occasional pint. It's mainly about the fight between good and evil, but also about keeping your sense of humour against overwhelming odds.
A traditional full-page layout was chosen for Dark Red, and this will also be available in hard copy from time to time. Every issue has a title page, 28 pages of story and a bonus page. In between issues there will be a break. There's a complimentary behind the scene's folder in the gallery for every issue. It gets added to week by week and is full of the original photographs, mistakes, full panels and bonus panels that never made it to the comic. Bonus material for each issue gets added to the site, including stories, guest comics and introductions.
When a new character appears they may be interviewed and added to the interviews page. Our interviewer is researching the current situation in the city, for reasons unspecified as yet. He gets the help of the various characters as he goes along.
Dark Red Background
"Aeons ago evil was tricked into laying down its sword. From this ancient chicanery a city of surprising diversity flourished, unfettered by diabolical intervention. Over the ages various creatures and peoples have gathered here to enjoy this safe haven. Living and growing together as they can nowhere else. All good things come to an end they say. And this is no exception. This city has walked in the light for too long.
Now the shadows are gathering..."
 The Process
Dark Red is Fumetti, which is an Italian term for photographic comics. The majority of images that you see are based on pictures the writer has directed and taken of the cast. To turn the photographs into comic panels takes between fifteen minutes and an hour or two depending on the complexity. The process is a combination of paintshop filters and different effects for the added magic.
Every now and then there will be a drawn element in the comic. Mostly these will be the pixies, demons, fairies and extra stuff that adds a bit of otherness to the Dark Red world.
The comic has gone through many changes of format since the beginning. Starting at scraps of dialogue and little descriptions, it progressed to storyboards, and then to a series of photos, finally ending up on the Internet in the form you see today. And it's been rewritten many times. Most recently to convert it to webcomic format.
 The Website
The web-site is updated every now and then. Recent additions to the site include a welcome page, an improved archive page and several secret pages. The team has also added the scripts for you to read. This is mainly for the blind to enjoy the comic too. But they're there for the curious as well.
 Cast Of Characters
Our intrepid researcher has interviewed the following characters. He will also add snippets of information about the Dark Red world in his research notes. So far he's talked about 'Psychic Phenomenon' and 'Rogue Psychics'.
- Sarah MacAllister has red hair and a fiery temperament to match. Recently diagnosed with Stargardt's blindness, Sarah has a history she doesn't tell anyone and present problems she's trying not to think about. Recently she has started seeing things again!
- Gary Nelson is a childhood friend of Sarah's, he's a junior doctor at a local hospital. When Sarah's folks died a few years back his family took her in for a bit. He's the voice of reason and normality to her.
- Iain Mach is an extraordinarily talented psychic. So much so that has spend a lot of time being insane. His interests include his motorbike BL, his laptop, and computer games. Iain's also very curious about Sarah's past and what happened when they first met.
- Daniel G. Forrest runs an odd little bookshop called 'The Maze'. As the war between heaven and hell spills into the city, Daniel has taken his stand between them. His personal crusade is to stop both sides. He's very serious and very angry.
- Anders Cartwright helps Daniel out in the shop most days. He's funny, light-hearted and the first to go looking for Iain when he vanishes. Among his other duties, he monitors demonic influx into the city.
- Dave the Busker is a friend of Iain and Anders. More or less living on the streets, he's the guy with the gossip. Although he does stay at Iain's now and then. Dave plays the guitar and knows everyone.
- Melita Adani knew Sarah's mum and dad. She is kind and motherly but as Sarah is discovering has many secrets. Melita runs a little Internet cafe called 'Café Adani'.
- Richard Cavendish is an old and serious mystic that knows Daniel. He has a mission to track down the lost Eloi and demon problems.
 Angels, Demons & Underworldly Characters
The cast doesn't stop with the mystics that the researcher finds to interview. The comic includes other beings and shady characters, some major and some minor.
- Angels - Warriors & messengers that show up to further heavens goals.
- Common Demons - Demons that usually work for a higher demon lord, they cause havoc but can be cowardly.
- The Lady - Intelligent, beautiful and hell-bent on power, who is this mysterious female?
- Faeries - The Fae are related to the ancient race called Tuatha De Danaan, but covers gnomes, elves, pixies, and sprites etc. They do like to cause mischief sometimes.
- Sarah's Ex - A rogue mystic that caused Sarah a lot of trouble.
- The Eloi - Normal citizens of heaven, these are not angels. Some are lost on earth from the heavenly wars.
- Warrior Demons - Demons that fight for a higher demon lord.
- The Possessed - People who are being occupied by a demon.
- Abraxas - An unfortunate demon whose secret name has become famous. Also called 'Brax' by his friends.
- Haborym - Evil Demon Lord who has plans for domination. Appears as a horned viper among other things.