Main characters: Vincent Valentine, Nanaki, Yuffie Kisaragi.
|Update Feed||RSS feed|
|Update Schedule||updating M-W-F|
|Launch Date||April 2005|
|Genre||Drama / Comedy / Gaming|
|Format||full page, serialized|
Growth is a Final Fantasy VII doujinshi which began in April of 2005. It is based off of a fanfic of the same name by the author/artist Enkida. Because the story was created before the "Compilation of FFVII" games and movies were released, it takes place in an alternate universe.
Five years after the destruction of meteor, some members of AVALANCHE are moving on with their lives better than others. Vincent Valentine doesn't happen to be one of them. World-weary and seeking rest from his troubles, he journeys to Cosmo Canyon to seek advice from the elders there. What he finds instead is an unexpected adventure when he meets up with the alarmingly crazed Yuffie and the lonely, driven Nanaki. Together the three travel to the Northern Crater to find materia, answers and perhaps most importantly, a reason to keep on living.
While the entire Final Fantasy VII main cast makes an appearance in the comic, the story revolves mainly around Vincent, Yuffie and Nanaki, as well as a few original characters.
 Main Characters
- Vincent Valentine: Originally a gun-slinging member of the Turks, he was killed by the mad scientist Hojo, who then transformed his body into the aberration it is today. His long slumber in a coffin below Shinra Manor came to an end five years ago, when he was awakened by Cloud. In the comic, Vincent finds himself unable to fit comfortably into the modern world and retreats to Cosmo Canyon seeking advice.
- Yuffie Kisaragi: A young ninja from the distant land of Wutai. Five years ago she became entangled with Cloud and his companions during her search for materia. She's sneaky, arrogant and selfish, but extremely talented with her super shuriken and ninja skills. In the comic, Yuffie is as obsessed as ever with her self-imposed task of materia hunting, which inadvertently leads the group to their adventure in the Northern Crater.
- Red XIII / Nanaki: Nanaki is an animal with fire-red fur; during the events of FFVII, he was known as "Red XIII" - the name given to him by the scientist Hojo during his incarceration as a Shinra test subject. Under his fierce exterior is an intelligence surpassing that of any human. In the comic, Nanaki's entire tribe was wiped out defending the humans of Cosmo Canyon; he believes himself to be the last of his race.
 Minor Characters
- Cid Highwind: A legendary airship pilot who travelled together with the group 5 years ago.
- Lady Kisaragi: Yuffie's mother and once the leader of Wutai. In the comic, she was killed by Sephiroth during the Shinra-Wutai war.
- Godo Kisaragi: Yuffie's father and current leader of Wutai. In the comic, he shares a strained relationship with his daughter.
- Lucrecia Crescent: A Shinra scientist researching the life form "Jenova" with Professor Gast and Hojo. She used her son for an experiment which resulted in the birth of Sephiroth.
- Sephiroth: The main antagonist of FFVII, he was ultimately killed by Cloud. In the comic, he was the biological son of Vincent and Lucrecia.
- Borah: A member of the Gi Tribe who bears a hostile attitude towards both the human world and Nanaki, whom he sees as a traitor.
- Bashiya: The elderly leader of the Gi Tribe and the mother of Borah. It was her mate, Nattak, who was responsible for leading the assault on Cosmo Canyon over 50 years ago.
- Kikacha: A young but headstrong child of the Gi Tribe.
Artist and creator of Growth, Enkida gave an interview to popular website Coloringdragons.com as part of their series of 20 webcomic interviews in 2007. The full review can be read at the main site in their news archives along with the other 19, and was conducted by Ben Warren (AKA: Enker - author/artist behind the webcomics 'Enker's Tale' and 'Knave' as well as regular writer for Coloring Dragons). Along with many interesting insights into the comic, the interview also enjoys a sense of humor with some rather interesting unrelated questions included as well.